Planning a Summer Reading Program and Research on the Effects on Student Achievement
If you would like to read more about planning a summer reading program and/or studies on the impact of summer reading programs, check out the following:
- Celano, Donna and Susan B. Neuman. The Role of Public Libraries in Children’s Literacy Development: An Evaluation Report. Mechanicsburg, Pa.: Pennsylvania Library Association, 2001.
- Cole, Natalie, Virginia Walter, & Eva Mitnick. Outcomes + Outreach The California Summer Reading Outcomes Initiative. Public Libraries Magazine, Vol. 52: 2, March/April 2013.
- Fiore, Carole D. Fiore’s Summer Library Reading Program Handbook. New York: Neal-Schumann, 2005.
- Kan, Katharine L. Sizzling Summer Reading Programs for Young Adults, Second Edition. Chicago: American Library Association, 2006.
- Kim, Jimmy. Summer Book Reading and the Achievement Gap: The Role of Public Libraries. Cambridge, Mass.: Center for Evaluation, Harvard University, 2004.
- Krashen, Stephen and Fay Shin. “Summer Reading and the Potential Contribution of the Public Library in Improving Reading for Children of Poverty,” Public Library Quarterly, Vol. 23: 3/4, 2004.
- Johnson, Wayne L. and Yvette C. Johnson. Summer Reading Program Fun: Ten Thrilling, Inspiring, Wacky Board Games for Kids. Chicago: American Library Association, 1999.
- McGill-Franzen, Anne and Richard Allington. “Bridging the Summer Reading Gap.” Instructor, Vol. 112: 8, May/June 2003.
- Roman, Susan, Deborah T. Carran, and Carole D. Fiore. The Dominican Study: Public Library Summer Reading Programs Close the Reading Gap. River Forest, Ill.: Dominican University, 2010.
Please click here for Donna Celano and Susan B. Neuman’s bibliography “Catch the Reading Bug: Preventing Summer Reading Loss.”